Conchiglie stuffed with Cheese, Sausage & Truffle
Although I love lasagna there is a wealth of other baked pasta dishes to experiment with especially stuffing the larger pasta shapes that from experience all but Italians shy away from. I adore conchiglie (seashells, pronounced as kohn/KEE/lyeh) as they remind me of warmer Spring days when I can get outdoors and walk along the shore in Vasto or up to Punta Aderci.
- ½-lt Passata
- 250 ml Béchamel Sauce
- 4 links of Salsiccia Rossa Abruzzese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- Pinch of Salt
- 400 g Conchiglioni Pasta
- ½ kg Salsiccia Rossa Abruzzese
- 200 g Parmesan or Pecorino
- 3 Medium Eggs
- Black or White Truffle Cream according to taste
*If you can’t get a high meat content sausage that contains sweet pepper, chili and fennel, substitute cooking chorizo as a last resort
For the Sugo
- Finely chop the onion and brown gently in the olive oil.
- Roughly chop the sausage and add to the oil.
- After the sausage has browned for 5-10 minutes add the passata and salt.
- Cook on a low heat slowly for an hour.
- Add the Béchamel Sauce and mix thoroughly.
For the Stuffing
- Take the skin off the sausages and crumble between fingers and add a pinch of salt.
- Fry the sausage in the oil for 5-10 minutes until browned, take off the heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl mix together the sausage mixture with the eggs, cheese and truffle.
For the Pasta
- Cook the conchiglioni in plenty of salted boiling water following the packet instructions and drain well.
- Fill all the conchiglioni with the stuffing.
- In a baking dish put half the sauce and arrange the stuffed pasta on top.
- Bake the pasta for 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven of 180C.
Buon Appetito Mamma Anna Maria
[inbound_button font_size=”16″ color=”#c8232b” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”” url=”https://www.italiasweetitalia.com/italian-cookery-courses/” width=”” target=”_self”] Click here to discover our Cookery Holidays in Abruzzo. You’ll learn how to cook real traditional Italian plates in the friendly and relaxing Abruzzo.[/inbound_button]