Cooking with Mamma: Cheese & Egg Balls
The Pallotte cac’ e ‘ove are a gastronomic specialty of southern Abruzzo. They come from the farming tradition where few and simple ingredients made delicious main dishes. Typical at Christmas dinner, the “pallotte cac’ e ‘ove” were born from the need to create delicious and nutritional main dishes despite the scarcity of available meat for the part of the population that was less well-off.
Preparation time: 10’ Cooking time: 15’ Portions: 4
- 100 g of bread crumbs
- 200 g of cheese (Parmesan, Grana Padano or Pecorino)
- black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 garlic clove
- vegetable oil
- baking soda
1. Put the necessary ingredients in a bowl and blend the whole by adding a pinch of salt, black pepper and baking soda.
2. Once the mixture, add eggs, enough to make it thick spongy.
3. Mix well together and form balls.
4. Fry balls in hot vegetable oil until golden if you like. Alternatively put the balls in the fridge for at least 15 minutes and after put them gently in the sauce.
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- black pepper
- 500 g of tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Sauté the onion with the pepper and add salt and black pepper.
2. Add the tomatoes and the basil.
3. As soon as the sauce starts boiling, pour a pair of glasses of water and wait for the sauce to boil again.
4. At this point, add the balls already prepared.
5. Cook for about 15 minutes until they swell.
by Mamma Anna Maria and her friends!
Check out our website to discover our Culinary Tours in Abruzzo. You’ll learn how to cook real traditional Italian plates in the friendly and relaxing Abruzzo.
At Italia Sweet Italia, we believe that the oldest and most authentic Italian recipes are best learnt from those with a direct connection to the origins and traditions involved.
Discover authentic recipes passed down over the years from mothers to daughters.